Friday, October 4, 2013

Lay's Canada Grilled Cheese & Ketchup

This was weird ... too weirddd. This is Lay's Canada's "Grilled Cheese & Ketchup", one of 4 Limited Edition offerings from their "Do Us A Flavour" contest. I was fortunate enough to find all 4 on ebay, when my sister couldn't find 3 of the 4 on her trip to Toronto. This one busted open in transit, so it was automatically the first one to get tasted.
Now, among the people I know, Lay's Canada's "Ketchup" flavor is always called out as a favorite, so I had some expectations for this bag. I'm not saying they are bad and I'm not saying they are good, but they are weird! They taste like "Ketchup" chips but then they have this dry creamy/cheesy taste after. Ok, I got it, it's like if you took 2 "Ketchup" chips, and one "Cheddar" chip and you made a 3 chip sandwich out of them... THAT is what these taste like. This is not a bag flavored like a Grilled Cheese sandwich; the picture of the Grilled Cheese sandwich with a smidge of Ketchup is deceptive, because the Ketchup to Cheese Ratio is the opposite.
I can see myself finishing this bag with pleasure, but I think ultimately, the "Ketchup" chip has already been perfected and this does not live up to it. I would much rather pick up the regular bag, then this. And for that reason, I would venture to guess that it won't win. However, if you love "Ketchup" chips, I do recommend you hunt this down, even if to only try it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment