Saturday, May 26, 2012

Walkers UK Pickled Onion

Dude, Brits must love their onion because I just realized that Walkers makes Cheese & Onion, Steak & Onion, Sour Cream & Chive, and this bad boy; Pickled Onion.
I don't know why, but I've been eager to review this flavor. I'm not a big pickle eater, so I've never tasted pickled onions in real life to compare with these. But I do LOVE a good bit of onion in my food so this flavor had me intrigued. I would say this bag, at first, really reminded me of sauteed onions; soft and a bit cooked down. But not grilled... they still permeated with that slightly fresh onion smell. They were really vinegar-y compared to the regular Walkers Salt and Vinegar combo. As I ate more, the onion became less and less aggressive and the bag became more of a marriage between the onion and the vinegar. The potatoes are the perfect bomb delicious chips Walkers always makes, and the hearty potato flavor does meld with the other two flavors. Just be aware that this is Vinegar and Onion we are talking about, two power players! The potato stands very little chance of standing out in this combo. In all, it was really yummy and interesting. I am a sucker for acidic potato chips and by the time I was done I was thrilled to have tried these. They aren't for the faint of heart, if onion terrifies you (mom!) then you won't be happy with this bag. But if you want to try a flavor that is different and can hang with the big boys then you should track this down at a local British Market. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds right up my alley. Wouldn't mind getting hold of a bag (or two) of those. Trouble is, I don't reside in Britain. ⊙︹⊙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so yummy. If you are looking, they have them on Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Crisps-Pack-Pickled-Onion/dp/B00C1DZE3C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374855104&sr=8-3&keywords=walkers+pickled+onion or sometimes on ebay, if you are in the USA :) Or you can search on Yelp for a local British grocery. Good luck on the hunt!

      Delete